free dhl express shipping on orders over USD100

What is the survival rate from skin cancer?

Solbari blog: What is the survival rate from skin cancer?

According to research undertaken by the Cancer Council the overall five year survival rate for those diagnosed with melanoma currently sits at around 90% in Australia.

The research indicated that the survival rate varies depending on gender, age and size of tumour as highlighted below.

The survival rate for women sat at 94% versus 88% for men. 67% of Australians who die from skin cancer are men.

The survival rate for those under the age of 40 is 95%, compared with 80% for those aged 80 years and over.

The five year survival rate for small tumours (less than 1mm) was 100%, but only 54% for tumours thicker than 4mm.

The survival rate is impacted to a large degree by the stage of detection.

Tumours which are identified early can often be treated effectively. If they are detected at a later, the survival rate falls significantly as highlighted above.

It is worth noting that the survival rates in Australia where this research was undertaken is higher than in most other countries because of the level of education about skin cancer, culture of self examination and getting regular skin checks.

Perhaps not surprising the higher skin cancer mortality rate for men reflects the general behavioural trait of men not getting checked as regularly as women.

To put these statistics into perspective around 12,000 people a year will be diagnosed with melanoma every year in Australia, whereas around 1,000,000 per annum will be diagnosed and treated with a non-melanoma skin cancer.

Skin cancer accounts for 80% of all cancers detected in Australia.

Around 2,000 people a year die from skin cancer in Australia. Around 75% of the deaths will be melanoma related and the remaining 25% non-melanoma related. Whilst the deadliest form of skin cancer is melanoma, it would be wrong to think that a non-melanoma skin cancer cannot be deadly.

Skin cancer is caused by cumulative exposure to ultra-violet (UV) light. Dermatologists recommend UPF50+ sun protective clothing as the best preventative measure against skin cancer. 

Solbari, Australian UPF50+ Sun Protection offers a range of award-winning sun protective clothing, sun-hats, arm sleeves, umbrellas and other accessories. 

You can find out more about Solbari's certified UPF50+ sun protective range by clicking the blue links below:  

Women UPF50+    
Men UPF50+    
Sun hats UPF50+    
Accessories UPF50+ 

The Solbari Team    
This blog is for information purposes only, always consult your medical professional.

 



Also in Solbari Blog

Don't miss these 7 areas when protecting your skin
Don't miss these 7 areas when protecting your skin

Below are 7 areas which people often forget to protect from the sun and can cause serious sunburn and skin damage...

1. Ears: Have you ever had blistering, peeling ears? Well, it's pretty painful and not a good look. Don't forget to apply sunscreen on your ears, the upper area and behind them. 

2. Eyelids: It's a very delicate area, where the skin is sensitive and thin. Category 3 sunglasses will help protect the eyes as well as a wide brim sun hat.

Click here to read more...

Read More
Can people of color get skin cancer?
Can people of color get skin cancer?

Skin cancer is definitely less common for people of color but sadly when it occurs the prognosis tends to be worse as issues are often detected at a more advanced stage.
Read More
Solbari Blog: What fabrics are good for sensitive skin?
What fabrics are good for sensitive skin?

This blog outlines which fabric types are best suited to those with chronic skin conditions including psoriasis, lupus and eczema. Natural fabrics including cotton and bamboo are considered the best for irritable, sensitive skin. These fabrics are the best because they are soft and they help regulate body temperature.
Read More